The formation of Falkirk Golf Club in 1922 was driven by local demand for an additional golf course within the Falkirk area. The task of taking this initiative forward fell to Provost James G. Russell, ironically enough - a non-golfer. This was the second attempt to establish a golf course within the Falkirk area, the first being in 1903 when it was proposed by the then East Ward electors that a site at the Princes Park area of the town could be adapted for the purpose. This was not pursued as it was felt that there would be insufficient uptake of membership to return sufficient revenue.
The present course, known locally as Carmuirs, is situated in Camelon, about 1.5 miles west of the Town Centre. The 118 acres that it sits on was located on what once formed part of the large Callendar Estate owned by the Forbes family - previous owners of the historic Callendar House in Falkirk's Callendar Park. In 1994 the course was purchased by the golf club from the Callendar Trust, owners of Callendar Estates and whose Chief Executive, Derick Forbes, was well known to Council members at the golf club. Extensive work on the land and course have now born fruit and Carmuirs is now acknowledged as one of the best parkland courses in Central Scotland.
The magnificent Falkirk Wheel can be seen from several parts of the course, most impressively from the 10th tee.
The Roman Antonine Wall built around 140A.D. passes some 1300 yards to the South of the course. The remains of a fortified Roman settlement are located on the South West area of the course, an area now used as our Academy Development and Practice Facility.
The club is easily accessed by road or train, as it is situated beside the Edinburgh/Stirling/Glasgow rail link. The local Camelon Station is a 2 minute walk to the golf course.
The main A9 to Stirling and the North runs adjacent to the course.