Falkirk Golf Club is situated on an area of land covering 118 acres, 1.5 miles from the town centre of Falkirk. The course is known locally as “Carmuirs” and is sited on an area of land between the A9 and the Edinburgh/Perth Railway line, situated to the north of the old village of Camelon. It once formed part of Callendar Estates and was owned by the Forbes Family, historic owners of the grand Callendar House (“The Big Hoose”) in Callendar Park in Falkirk itself.
While facilities for the playing of the royal and ancient game were to be had on some of the courses in the neighbourhood of FaIkirk, the demand for admission to membership of these adjoining clubs became so abnormally heavy that the "waiting lists" in themselves presented a discouragement to young and enthusiastic golfers who felt that they might grow to a ripe old age before being able to enjoy the privileges and pleasures associated with full membership of a club. More and more frequently the question was being asked, “Why hasn’t Falkirk a golf club and a golf course of its very own?” The prime mover in establishing the club was Provost James G. Russell, who was staunchly supported in all of his efforts by Bailie Gilchrist who succeeded to the captaincy of the Falkirk Golf Club.
On 30th January, 1922, a public meeting was called for the purpose of considering the scheme and ascertaining how it was likely to be favoured. Following the decision to form the Falkirk Golf Club, there was general expression of satisfaction over the prospect of such an acceptable addition to the existing recreational facilities of the burgh. The course layout was done under the experienced direction of Mr. Peter Robertson, ex-Scottish champion, and professional at the Braid Hills Course, Edinburgh. Provost Russell drove off the first ball on the afternoon of Saturday, 30th June, 1922. The remainder of the course was completed in the autumn of the same year the club extended to include that full eighteen holes.
In February, 1927, Mr. James Braid made a survey of the course and suggested minor alterations as to the position of certain trees and greens. He further submitted a bunkering-scheme. All his suggestions were carried.
The clubhouse was erected at a cost of over £2000, and was considered to be a spacious building occupying a fine site on high ground at the south-east corner, from which a fair proportion of the course comes within the range of view. It was built to plans by Mr. J. G. Callander, architect, Falkirk, and consists of a Ladies and Gents Lounge, locker-room, toilets and a house for the clubmaster.